What is Feldenkrais?
The Feldenkrais Method
I believe that the unity of mind and body is an objective reality. They are not just parts somehow related to each other, but an inseparable whole while functioning. A brain without a body could not think. Moshe Feldenkrais
The Feldenkrais Method® of somatic education uses gentle movement and directed attention to help people learn new and more effective ways of acting, moving and feeling. In group or individual sessions we can increase our ease of motion, improve our flexibility and coordination, and rediscover our innate capacity for graceful, efficient movement.
They can help us find a way out of restrictive and sometimes painful habits into more pleasant, intelligent action. The goal is that these new possibilities become comfortable and useful in our daily life and in our other skilled activities.
The method was developed over 40 years of research by Dr. Moshe Feldenkrais who was an Educator, Engineer, Scientist and Judo master.
The method can help
- Increase mobility and ease of movement
- Improve your flexibility and coordination
- Reduce and eliminate pain
- Create new possibilities for skilled action
- Assist rehabilitation after injury, stroke or disease
- When working with emotional challenges
- Children with developmental, emotional and movement challenges
The work is taught in two forms:
Movement classes (usually with groups) called Awareness through movement and individual, hands-on sessions called Functional Integration